Thursday, February 18, 2010

Off to never

ever land.

So... I should have written this earlier. Now I'm tiiiiiirrrred. And want pizza. T_T
I believe I'm supposed to write about these pieces, my theme, and where it's going? I think? If not, then... that'll suck. :/
I drew these when I FINALLY got some descent pens, and started to have fun with the 'tattoo' design of them. I've got a knack for drawing realistic, and I'm good at swirly design fun- so why not combine it? I'm going to redo the first two projects we did this year, and fix them up to work with the theme- even though it's still mutating- and hopefully have them work. My theme- as of yet- is basically 'screwed perception', and plays with the proportions of objects while adding descent line quality and dots to them. Ooooh so many dots... :) I'm hoping that it generally stays with this style- I like changing EVERYTHING to different things constantly. Which is why my next project isn't going anywhere... I can never make up my mind- so I need to either stick with one medium or work quickly before I want to change it too much. Which has happened before...

I actually kind of planned these two projects- I drew some sketches, tested the idea of the piece before finalizing it on nice fancy paper- and they turned out nicely. I also didn't spend too much time on them. A couple days, maybe? It was just like, "INPIRATION! YESSSS! I HATH FOUND YOUUUU IN THE MAGICAL PENS OF AWESOME!!!!" And BAM. Awesome sauce and cut up hands.

...I'll do the four comments later. -_-U

6 comments:

  1. the contrast and the composition of these two pieces really works, but the second piece kind of lacks any depth to it. the first piece works really well because of the ghostly shadows behind the hand, which adds depth to the piece. i had the same problem last year too because my pieces were always "flat" and i kind of got stuck in that, so now i'm working on creating pieces with more ranges of value and different mediums. im not saying you have to change your style, but what worked for me was to challenge myself and stray away from the "safe" ideas and mediums i always used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the movement shown in the first piece, with all of the different layers of hand movements. I think that it would be nice to see it in the second one as well. Maybe you could do different angles of the face in the same way you did with the hand, possibly showing the head turning? I think the planning works in your favor, these look like a cohesive portfolio so far. The objects look well drawn as well as abstracted, which I think was your goal? I like the new direction you are taking your concentration. I think that before you were confused on the whole body of work process. Anyone who hasn't been stuck or confused by it is a liar! The nice thing about taking AP two years is that this year you get used to the process, and then next year you make it your bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the first piece the contrast between the warm aura of the front hand and the cold aura of the second is great! The fact that both hands have the red where they split really connects the two of them. It's kind of like this particular thing has happened before (blue hand) so you witness that while you witness the latest break. Hopefully that made some sense. The movement in this piece is awesome; you're just drawn right in to the picture.
    I'm just not as drawn in by the second picture. The red makes it pretty interesting, but there's no... deepness to it. Yet again, I hope that made sense.
    I love your tattooish style. It flows well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how cohesive both the pieces are together- the style seems good. The first piece is really nice. I like the glow to it and the unity the faded hands create for the work in a whole. The second one though lacks a harmony. To me it feels trapped and confined in the borders of the page. Even if there were swirls or something leading off the page I think the fluidity would really improve, and as everyone has mentioned, it feels flat. It is definitely of good quality though. I also really like the line variations and texture you've managed to create with the simple media. I think this idea can really be neat :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok so this is like oposite og what other are thinking w=but oh well. i am way more drawn to the second one than the first i am not sure why. I am actually kind of confused as to what your concentration is so i am going to come up to you in art soon and ask (be warned) lol . anyway, i just feel like the first piece is random and i don't know where it is coming from. The second piece although i agree there could be more layers and such, i think it is compositionally very pleasing :) and with both you have a good sense of line quality and nicer cohesiveness with the patterns you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  6. o my gosh!!! i love how in the first one you made the movement of the hand with colors that look like they are not really there!!! its amazing!! its like what i have been trying to do for ever!! im really into what you have been doing. your stuff really gets me. i want to see you expand more in your stuff though. i feel like your really sticking with this one thing and i want you to do more. your very talented.

    ReplyDelete